Six things we know about new Sheridan Smith drama Care
Sheridan Smith, whose CV includes Cilla and Mrs Biggs, is headlining a big new BBC1 drama. Here are six things we know…
1. Care is a 90-minute drama penned by screenwriter Jimmy McGovern (Broken, The Street) and Gillian Juckes, whose real-life experiences have inspired the story.
2. Sheridan plays Jenny, a single mum-of-two whose one lifeline is mum Mary (Hold The Sunset’s Alison Steadman). When Mary develops dementia, Jenny’s world darkens and everything changes for her and sister Claire (Little Boy Blue’s Sinead Keenan).
3. Torn between looking after herself and her mother's wellbeing, Jenny discovers another way is possible - but she'll have to fight hard for it...
4. “It’s always an honour to work with Jimmy McGovern, here joining forces with Gillian Juckes,” says Piers Wenger, Controller of BBC Drama. “Together they tell the story of one woman’s battle to get the best care for her mother.”
5. Sheridan’s a busy woman! This autumn she’ll play a cleaner in ITV drama Clean Break and next year she’ll star in C4’s Adult Material as an ageing porn star. Sheridan has described Adult Material as a “taboo-busting” drama.
6. Filming for Care will begin soon in and around Liverpool.
Alison Steadman pic: PA Wire/PA Images
Get the What to Watch Newsletter
The latest updates, reviews and unmissable series to watch and more!
David is the What To Watch Editor and has over 20 years of experience in television journalism. He is currently writing about the latest television and film news for What To Watch.
Before working for What To Watch, David spent many years on TV Times magazine, interviewing some of television's most famous stars including Hollywood actor Kiefer Sutherland, singer Lionel Richie and wildlife legend Sir David Attenborough.
David started out as a writer on TV Times before becoming the title's deputy features editor and then features editor. During his time on TV Times, David also helped run the annual TV Times Awards. David is a huge Death in Paradise fan, although he's still failed to solve a case before the show's detective! He also loves James Bond and controversially thinks that Timothy Dalton was an excellent 007.
Other than watching and writing about telly, David loves playing cricket, going to the cinema, trying to improve his tennis and chasing about after his kids!
By Grace Morris