That’s it then (until Christmas at least). The sixth series of Downton Abbey has ended – controversially – with Lady Mary getting hitched and poor Lady Edith losing the man of her dreams.
But forget the plot. What we’ll miss most is the ludicrous aristo dialogue that gets bandied about between the Grantham clan and their associates.
Here’s all the archaic vocabulary, meaningful understatements, and cuttingly polite insults from the Downton finale.
1. Brouhaha: Like an upgraded kerfuffle
Oh I'd love to be dragged into a tawdry local brouhaha. #DowntonAbbey
— Tom Allen (@tomallencomedy) November 8, 2015
2. These kind of well-crafted lines that stop you short
"Don't demean yourself by trying to justify your venom", this was a brilliant line. #DowntonAbbey
— Edina Ely (@edina_louise) November 8, 2015
3. Wise home truths to petulant aristos
You're a bully Mary & like all bullies you're a coward — Tom Branson Here here #DowntonAbbey
— Lady Edith Crawley (@Edith_Crawley) November 8, 2015
4. Because everyone wants a “copper bottomed Marquis” for Christmas
The entire nation has their fingers crossed Edith gets her "copper bottomed Marquis" and Mary has to curtsy to her… #DowntonAbbey
— Ellie Walker-Arnott (@Ellie_Wa) November 8, 2015
5. Alliterative classics from Lord Grantham
Brilliant, have finally heard someone actually say 'golly gumdrops' on TV. Well done #DowntonAbbey
— Nick Horne (@Knightsinwhites) November 8, 2015
— Gavin (@GavinWorby) November 8, 2015
6. Truly gargantuan understatements
And the Academy Award for biggest understatement of 1925 goes to: "Your sister hasn't been helpful." #DowntonAbbey
— Rebecca Major (@BecMajor) November 8, 2015
7. The way posh butlers seem to have had their sympathy glands removed
"To say nothing of suicidal footmen in the attic" is there more than one Carson?! #DowntonAbbey
— Jo-Anne Rowney (@JoAnne_Rowney) November 8, 2015
8. Pearls of wisdom on managing your house staff
— Alastair Stewart (@alstewitn) November 8, 2015
9. Criteria when looking for a man
"He shoots." It's positively filth tonight I tell you. FILTH! #DowntonAbbey
— Jeremy Skyrme (@DrSkyrme) November 8, 2015
10. Words you’ve kind of heard, but don’t really know what they mean…
Who else googled 'carmudgeon' ? #DowntonAbbey
— Cille Mhearnaig (@CMhearnaig) November 8, 2015
11. The way elderly relatives are referred to as if summoned from Hell
"Summoning Granny" Well as a Hogwarts teacher, I suppose that was easy #DowntonAbbey
— Jeevesina (@jeevesina) November 8, 2015
12. Oh, and this – which really shows Downton’s march to modernity over the years
— Lord Gareth J Jones (@garethjonjones) November 8, 2015
Get the latest updates, reviews and unmissable series to watch and more!
Thank you for signing up to Whattowatch. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.