The Conjuring has dominated box offices since its inception in 2013. The primary franchise follows Ed and Lorraine Warren as they hunt specters, witches and ghouls and fight to save family after family from demonic possessions.
The real-life demonologists are portrayed by Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga, respectively, with each actor's performance being the very reason the franchise has managed to wriggle its way into the hearts of so many. The love of the characters serves as a foundation for the horror, giving director James Wan and other creators of the Conjuring-verse the opportunity to build something truly terrifying.
There's no right or wrong way to dig into the spooks offered by The Conjuring and all of its spinoffs, but we thought we'd make things easier and break down the release and chronological orders for those who want to check out the series in whichever order they so choose.
If you want to watch the films in order of greatness, check out The Conjuring films ranked worst to best.
The Conjuring series in release order
- The Conjuring (2013) - Available on Netflix
- Annabelle (2014) - Rent or buy on Prime Video
- The Conjuring 2 (2016) - Available on Netflix
- Annabelle: Creation (2017) - Rent or buy on Prime Video
- The Nun (2018) - Rent or buy on Prime Video
- The Curse of La Llorona (2019) - Rent or buy on Prime Video
- Annabelle Comes Home (2019) - Rent or buy on Prime Video
- The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021) - Available on Hulu
The chronological order (found below) comes with a couple caveats. It might be easier for viewers who are coming into the Conjuring-verse blind to watch the three core The Conjuring films before diving into all the respective spin-offs. Annabelle will make enough sense without series context, but Valak (the titular Nun) might not make a lot of sense — or be nearly as engaging to viewers — without the context of the Warrens and their battle.
For those who have seen these films before, the below order needs no addendums!
The Conjuring series in chronological order
- 1952: The Nun
- 1955: Annabelle: Creation
- 1967: Annabelle
- 1971: The Conjuring
- 1972: Annabelle Comes Home
- 1973: The Curse of La Llorona
- 1977: The Conjuring 2
- 1981: The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It
Amelia is an entertainment Streaming Editor at IGN, which means she spends a lot of time analyzing and editing stories on things like Loki, Peacemaker, and The Witcher. In addition to her features and editorial work, she’s also a member of both the Television Critics Association and Critics Choice. A deep love of film and television has kept her happily in the entertainment industry for 7 years.
- Lucy Buglass Senior Staff Writer
Get the latest updates, reviews and unmissable series to watch and more!
Thank you for signing up to Whattowatch. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.