Skip to main content

Ex-EastEnder Mohammed George wins libel payout

Ex-EastEnder Mohammed George wins libel payout
Ex-EastEnder Mohammed George wins libel payout (Image credit: PA Wire/PA Photos)

Soap actor Mohammed George has been awarded £75,000 libel damages over a newspaper story he said wrongly accused him of acting like a wild animal and 'beating up' the mother of his daughter. The 26-year-old - who played roadsweeper Gus in EastEnders for more than five years - said after the verdict at the High Court in London he was 'ecstatic'. Mr George, who is known as Mo, sued over allegations in The Sun newspaper. During the action, which was contested by the tabloid's publisher, News Group Newspapers, Mr George's QC, Ronald Thwaites, said the actor's reputation had been 'seriously and unfairly damaged'. He told the court: "In a nutshell, the allegation against him is that he flew into a rage in the street in the early hours of the morning of December 3 2006, and beat up his then girlfriend and mother of his daughter, acting like a wild animal and leaving her sprawling in the street when he ran away." The 'completely untrue' allegation was that "he beats women, that he beats them mercilessly in the street" and that he "runs off like a coward". After the majority verdict, Mohammed, of Southgate, north London, said he was delighted the "shackles have been released from me and I no longer have this weight hanging over me and finally people will realise that what they wrote wasn't true". The actor said he hoped the jury's decision would mean work would start coming his way again and "people won't be afraid to cast me now". He said: "If I was a casting director I wouldn't want to cast someone who I thought was a wife beater." Click here to watch whatsontv.co.uk’s new weekly soaps video preview, the Soap Scoop Get all the latest soap gossip delivered straight to your door. Subscribe to Soaplife magazine today

Patrick McLennan is a London-based journalist and documentary maker who has worked as a writer, sub-editor, digital editor and TV producer in the UK and New Zealand. His CV includes spells as a news producer at the BBC and TVNZ, as well as web editor for Time Inc UK. He has produced TV news and entertainment features on personalities as diverse as Nick Cave, Tom Hardy, Clive James, Jodie Marsh and Kevin Bacon and he co-produced and directed The Ponds, which has screened in UK cinemas, BBC Four and is currently available on Netflix. 


An entertainment writer with a diverse taste in TV and film, he lists Seinfeld, The Sopranos, The Chase, The Thick of It and Detectorists among his favourite shows, but steers well clear of most sci-fi.