Alan Davies apologises for false abuse allegation
The latest updates, reviews and unmissable series to watch and more!
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
ONCE A WEEK
What to Watch
Get all the latest TV news and movie reviews, streaming recommendations and exclusive interviews sent directly to your inbox each week in a newsletter put together by our experts just for you.
ONCE A WEEK
What to Watch Soapbox
Sign up to our new soap newsletter to get all the latest news, spoilers and gossip from the biggest US soaps sent straight to your inbox… so you never miss a moment of the drama!
Comedian Alan Davies has apologised to Lord McAlpine for naming him in relation to false allegations about abuse at a children's home. The former Tory politician's legal team is in the process of suing everybody who wrongly linked him to allegations of historic child abuse. The claims were sparked by a Newsnight report which did not name Lord McAlpine, but referred to a senior Conservative from the Thatcher era, leading to his identification online. Last week the BBC agreed to pay the peer £185,000 for wrongly implicating him in a paedophile ring that targeted children at the care home in Wrexham. But Twitter users had already taken to the social network site to tweet or retweet the libellous allegations. Davies, star of BBC Two's QI, told his 444,000-plus followers on Twitter: "I've just written to Lord McAlpine to apologise for retweeting his name in relation to false allegations following a BBC investigation." Lord McAlpine's legal representative told Channel 4 News that Davies' apology was slow in arriving. Sally Bercow, the outspoken wife of Commons Speaker John Bercow, is another Twitter user who Lord McAlpine's lawyers are considering suing. Bercow wrote on November 4: "Why is Lord McAlpine trending? *innocent face*." She has defended her tweet describing it as not libellous - "just foolish". The peer's solicitor, Andrew Reid, has said action will be taken against 'a lot of people' who linked the former politician's name with the unfounded allegations.
The latest updates, reviews and unmissable series to watch and more!
Patrick McLennan is a London-based journalist and documentary maker who has worked as a writer, sub-editor, digital editor and TV producer in the UK and New Zealand. His CV includes spells as a news producer at the BBC and TVNZ, as well as web editor for Time Inc UK. He has produced TV news and entertainment features on personalities as diverse as Nick Cave, Tom Hardy, Clive James, Jodie Marsh and Kevin Bacon and he co-produced and directed The Ponds, which has screened in UK cinemas, BBC Four and is currently available on Netflix.
An entertainment writer with a diverse taste in TV and film, he lists Seinfeld, The Sopranos, The Chase, The Thick of It and Detectorists among his favourite shows, but steers well clear of most sci-fi.

