How to watch the NBA in 2019 if you've cut the cord
With the NBA Finals MVP on a new team, this basketball season feels wide open
The NBA is basketball at its finest, with the best players in the world competing at the highest level. The NBA game is fast paced and high scoring, and usually filled with fantastic plays that must be seen to be believed. Basketball translates really well to streaming, and can be enjoyable to watch from the smallest screen you carry everywhere to the biggest screen in your living room.
The NBA has been aggressive about being available to CordCutters, and they have expanded the options available this year to watch the biggest stars in the sport throw down. If you have cut the cord for good, you still have many different options for watching the NBA. It's up to you to pick which option works best for you.
NBA teams you can watch online
- Atlanta Hawks
- Boston Celtics
- Brooklyn Nets
- Charlotte Hornets
- Chicago Bulls
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Detroit Pistons
- Indiana Pacers
- Miami Heat
- Milwaukee Bucks
- New York Knicks
- Orlando Magic
- Philadelphia 76ers
- Toronto Raptors
- Washington Wizards
- Dallas Mavericks
- Denver Nuggets
- Golden State Warriors
- Houston Rockets
- Los Angeles Clippers
- Los Angeles Lakers
- Memphis Grizzlies
- Minnesota Timberwolves
- New Orleans Pelicans
- Oklahoma City Thunder
- Phoenix Suns
- Portland Trail Blazers
- Sacramento Kings
- San Antonio Spurs
- Utah Jazz
Watch the NBA on Live Streaming Services
NBA games are available on a variety of networks, including ABC, ESPN, TNT, and NBA TV. ESPN offers over 80 NBA games this season with big matchups spread throughout the season. The NBA also partners with TNT to provide over 65 televised games this season. The league even has a network all their own called NBA TV. It is a traditional network, so you will need a provider, and have NBA TV included in your package. If you do, you can watch over 90 NBA games this season .
Hulu with Live TV
- The cost: $45 a month after a one week free trial
- Watch Hulu on: Apple TV, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, Xbox One, Chromecast, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, iOS, Android, web browsers
- Local channels on Hulu: ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and others. Find your local channels here .
- NBA Basketball on Hulu - Yes, with over 160 games on ABC, ESPN and TNT.
- NBA TV on Hulu: No, Hulu with Live TV does not offer NBA TV.
More on Hulu with Live TV:
- See all Hulu channels
- What's new on Hulu this month
Tip off basketball season with Hulu
Hulu gives you access to live TV and sports on top of a huge back catalog of shows. Your local ABC channel along with ESPN and TNT will be included, so you can stream many NBA Basketball games.
Sling TV - Sling Orange + Sports Extra
- The cost: $35 a month after your first month for $15 (opens in new tab)
- Watch Sling TV on: Apple TV, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Roku, Xbox One, LG, Samsung or Vizio smart TVs, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire tablets, browsers and more
- Local channels on Sling TV: NBC and Fox on Sling Blue. Local on demand feeds on Sling Orange. Find your local channels here (opens in new tab) .
- NBA Basketball on Sling TV: Yes, with over 140 games on ESPN and TNT on Sling Blue.
- NBA TV on Sling TV: Yes, by adding the Sports Extra Add-on for $10 more per month, get over 100 more games.
- NBA League Pass on Sling TV: Yes, you can add either NBA League Pass or NBA Team Pass on Sling for hundreds more out of market NBA games!
More on Sling TV:
- See all Sling TV channels
- How to subscribe to Sling TV
Slam Dunk Deal
A major NBA streaming package for a minor price
Sling won't run you as much as the other major streaming services. Yet it still hangs with the competition by offering nearly every channel NBA fans want, including ESPN, TNT, and NBA TV. You can even add NBA League or Team Pass on at Sling.
- The cost: $55 a month after a one week trial (opens in new tab)
- Watch Fubo TV on: Apple TV, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, Chromecast, iOS, Android and web browsers
- Local channels on Fubo TV: CBS, Fox, NBC and CW. Find your locals here (opens in new tab) .
- NBA Basketball on Fubo TV: Some, with TNT and NBA TV.
- NBA TV on Fubo TV: Yes, Fubo TV has NBA TV included.
More on Fubo TV:
- See all Fubo TV channels
- Fubo TV 4K streaming
Low Percentage Three
Some NBA action, but hoops-heads should to shop around.
Fubo TV has a choice of plans with 80+ base channels, 4K HDR sports streaming, and optional add-ons. It has TNT and NBA TV, so you can stream over 160 NBA Basketball games. Still without ABC locals or ESPN, your bucks go further elsewhere.
PlayStation Vue - Core Plan
- The cost: $55 a month after a free trial
- Watch PlayStation Vue on: Apple TV, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, PlayStation 3 and 4, Chromecast, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire Tablets and web browsers
- Local channels on PlayStation Vue: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and more. Find your locals here .
- NBA Basketball on PlayStation Vue: Yes, with ABC, ESPN, TNT and NBA TV for hundreds of games.
- NBA TV on PlayStation Vue: Yes, the Core Plan includes the NBA TV.
More on PlayStation Vue:
- See all PlayStation Vue channels and plans
- How to subscribe to PlayStation Vue
From way downtown
All of the NBA channels are here.
PlayStation Vue offers so many popular channels across four plans. The Core Plan can include your local ABC, along with ESPN, TNT and NBA TV so you can stream the most NBA Basketball with Vue.
- The cost: $50 a month after a free trial
- Watch YouTube TV on: Apple TV, Android TV, Roku, Samsung, LG, HiSense or Vizio smart TVs, Chromecast, iOS and Android
- Local channels on YouTube TV: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and more. Find your locals here .
- NBA Basketball on YouTube TV: You, with ABC, ESPN, TNT and NBA TV for hundreds of games..
- NBA TV on YouTube TV: No, YouTube TV does not include NBA TV.
More on YouTube TV:
YouTube has the best value for NBA fans.
YouTube TV makes streaming live TV simple, with a single plan filled with channels. With ABC, ESPN, TNT and NBA TV all in, they'll have over 270 NBA games, and the option to add NBA League or Team Pass.
AT&T TV Now - Plus Plan
- The cost: $50 a month after a free trial
- Watch AT&T TV Now on: Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Samsung Smart TVs, iOS, Android, web browsers
- Local channels on AT&T TV Now: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and more. Find your locals here (opens in new tab) .
- NBA Basketball on AT&T TV Now: Yes you will get many games with ABC, ESPN and TNT on the Plus Plan.
- NBA TV on AT&T TV Now: Yes, but only in the Xtra Plan which starts at $124 a month.
More on AT&T TV Now:
- See all AT&T TV Now channels and plans
- How to sign up for AT&T TV Now
For all NBA channels, prices go as high as Rudy Gobert's shooting average.
AT&T TV Now has a ton of plan options. The Plus Plan can get you started with many NBA games streaming. But if you want NBA TV, the Xtra Plan will cost over double compared to other options for the same roster.
Watch NBA TV from NBA.com
If you want to see the 100+ games on NBA TV without cable, but you aren't ready to sign up for a full Live TV streaming service, NBA.com has a brand new option worth considering. You can now sign up for a subscription to NBA TV as a single-channel standalone service for $7 a month, or $60 for a year. With these plans, you will get the full NBA TV channel, with all the live games, studio shows, highlights and special coverage of everything NBA.
One on One
NBA TV goes a la carte.
If all you want to add is the official channel with over 100 games and exclusive coverage, you can get it easily at NBA.com.
Watch your local NBA team on a Regional Sports Networks
Many basketball fans love their local team, and want to watch those games more than any others. If you live near your favorite NBA team, the best way to watch their games will be on a Regional Sports Network. Teams have local agreements with regional sports networks to show almost every game they play.
Nearly all of the NBA Regional Sports Networks are available on at least one of the major live streaming services. Unfortunately, it is only bad news for CordCutters fans of four teams. The Toronto Raptors aren't a surprise, as these are U.S. services and they have a Canadian sports network. However, local fans of the Nuggets, Lakers and Jazz are currently without a live streaming option for their team's Regional Sports Network.
Find your local team, and local network, in this chart to see which streaming service offers the games you want. When you sign up for your free trial, make sure you choose a plan that includes the Regional Sports Network, and check your ZIP code to ensure you're included.
|NBA Team/Sports Network||PSVue||DTV Now||Sling||Hulu Live||YTTV TV||Fubo|
|Atlanta Hawks / FS Southeast||x||x||Row 0 - Cell 3||x||x||x|
|Boston Celtics / NBCS Boston||x||Row 1 - Cell 2||Row 1 - Cell 3||x||x||x|
|Brooklyn Nets / YES||x||x||Row 2 - Cell 3||x||x||x|
|Charlotte Hornets / FS Carolinas||x||x||Row 3 - Cell 3||x||x||x|
|Chicago Bulls / NBCS Chicago||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Cleveland Cavaliers / FS Ohio||x||x||Row 5 - Cell 3||x||x||x|
|Dallas Mavericks / FS Southwest||x||x||Row 6 - Cell 3||x||x||x|
|Denver Nuggets / Altitude Sports||Row 7 - Cell 1||Row 7 - Cell 2||Row 7 - Cell 3||Row 7 - Cell 4||Row 7 - Cell 5||Row 7 - Cell 6|
|Detroit Pistons / FS Detroit||x||x||Row 8 - Cell 3||x||x||x|
|Golden State Warriors / NBCS Bay Area||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Houston Rockets / AT&T SN Southwest||Row 10 - Cell 1||Row 10 - Cell 2||Row 10 - Cell 3||Row 10 - Cell 4||Row 10 - Cell 5||x|
|Indiana Pacers / FS Midwest||x||x||Row 11 - Cell 3||x||x||x|
|Los Angeles Clippers / FS Prime Ticket||x||x||Row 12 - Cell 3||x||x||x|
|Los Angeles Lakers / Spectrum SN||Row 13 - Cell 1||Row 13 - Cell 2||Row 13 - Cell 3||Row 13 - Cell 4||Row 13 - Cell 5||Row 13 - Cell 6|
|Memphis Grizzlies / FS South/Tennessee||x||x||Row 14 - Cell 3||x||x||x|
|Miami Heat / FS Sun||x||x||Row 15 - Cell 3||x||x||x|
|Milwaukee Bucks / FS North/Wisconsin||x||x||Row 16 - Cell 3||x||x||x|
|Minnesota Timberwolves / FS North||x||x||Row 17 - Cell 3||x||x||x|
|New Orleans Pelicans / FS SW/New Orleans||x||x||Row 18 - Cell 3||x||x||x|
|New York Knicks / MSG||Row 19 - Cell 1||Row 19 - Cell 2||Row 19 - Cell 3||Row 19 - Cell 4||Row 19 - Cell 5||x|
|Oklahoma City Thunder / FS Oklahoma||x||x||Row 20 - Cell 3||x||x||x|
|Orlando Magic / FS Florida||x||x||Row 21 - Cell 3||x||x||x|
|Philadelphia 76ers / NBCS Philadelphia||x||Row 22 - Cell 2||Row 22 - Cell 3||x||x||x|
|Phoenix Suns / FS Arizona||x||x||Row 23 - Cell 3||x||x||x|
|Portland Trail Blazers / NBCS Northwest||x||Row 24 - Cell 2||Row 24 - Cell 3||x||x||x|
|Sacramento Kings / NBCS California||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|San Antonio Spurs / FS Southwest||x||x||Row 26 - Cell 3||x||x||x|
|Toronto Raptors / TSN (Canada)||Row 27 - Cell 1||Row 27 - Cell 2||Row 27 - Cell 3||Row 27 - Cell 4||Row 27 - Cell 5||Row 27 - Cell 6|
|Utah Jazz / AT&T SN Rocky Mountain||Row 28 - Cell 1||Row 28 - Cell 2||Row 28 - Cell 3||Row 28 - Cell 4||Row 28 - Cell 5||Row 28 - Cell 6|
|Washington Wizards / NBCS Washington||x||x||x||x||x||x|
NBA League Pass
If you truly love NBA basketball, the option that scores above all of the others is NBA League Pass. For the hardcore fan, lots of basketball can't compete when you want all of the games.
The NBA offers two plans. NBA Team Pass lets you pick one out of market team, so you can watch all of their games. Think of Team Pass like a Regional Sports Network for teams that aren't in your local region. If you are a Spurs fan living in Washington DC, you can watch every Spurs game with Team Pass, except when they play the Washington Wizards. NBA League Pass lets you choose from every game in the league at any time, as long as it isn't blacked out locally for you.
One of the easiest ways to subscribe to the NBA League Pass is on Amazon Prime Channels (opens in new tab) . Amazon handles the account and billing, so you won't need to create any new accounts or store your credit card somewhere new. You also won't need any new apps, because NBA League Pass would be available everywhere you have the Amazon Prime Video app. This option is especially appealing for Fire TV devices, which will have the best integrated experience. You can even get a one-week free trial from Oct. 22 - 29 if you sign up for NBA League Pass on Amazon Prime Channels.
As outlined in the Live Streaming section above, the NBA League Pass options are also available to add on to Sling TV & YouTube TV, or you can get the NBA League or Team Pass directly from NBA.com. If you choose this option, you will need to use the NBA app on your supported devices to watch.
The Full Court Press
More NBA games then any other service.
Amazon Channels and the NBA offer a variety of plans to watch hundreds of out of market games. You can buy a single Team Pass for $18 a month, or $120 for the season. To see the most games possible, get the NBA League Pass for $29 a month, or $200 for the season.
Straight from the League
NBA games straight from the NBA.
The NBA offers this massive subscription service direct from the league itself. You can buy a single Team Pass for $18 a month, or $120 for the season. To see the most games possible, get the NBA League Pass for $29 a month, or $200 for the season.
Watch the NBA using an over the air antenna
One of the easiest ways to watch a handful of NBA games after cutting the cord is using an antenna. You can hook up an over-the-air antenna to your TV or tuner, and turn on your local ABC station to get access to 18 nationally televised games for the season.
These games don't start until Christmas Day, but you can check the official schedule for the ABC games on the NBA stats page. These games tend to focus on the biggest teams and best matchups. You can visit the NBA Stats page to check out the NBA on ABC schedule
The best over-the-air antennas available
If you want to use your over-the-air antenna with a smartphone, tablet, or streaming device, you could consider buying an over-the-air streaming box. It will take whatever the antenna can pick up, and convert it to stream on your local network.
The best over-the-air streaming device
Watch the NBA in the Yahoo Sports App
If you tend to watch as a mobile first, or mobile-only NBA fan, you should give the Yahoo Sports app a try. Yahoo Sports can let you watch NBA games in the Yahoo Sports app on your smartphone or tablet only. You can watch up to 8 selected games for free using credits they give every user. You can also choose to subscribe to a mobile only version of the NBA League Pass for $100. Just remember that this subscription to NBA League Pass is different from all of the others, and it only works in the Yahoo Sports App.
Yahoo Sports App also has seven free previews throughout the season. These range from three to eight days long, so you can see a bunch of games even if you don't buy NBA League Pass through Yahoo Sports. Here is the Yahoo Sports NBA Free Preview schedule:
- Oct. 16-23, Early Bird Free Preview
- Dec. 14-20, Holiday Offer Free Preview
- Jan. 14-20, Half Season Free Preview
- Feb. 1-3, Free Preview
- Feb. 24-25, Post All Star & Trade deadline Free Preview
- March 14-16, Race to Playoffs Free Preview
- April 5-7, Free Preview
Get the What to Watch Newsletter
The latest updates, reviews and unmissable series to watch and more!
Roy Delgado is a freelance writer for WhatToWatch. His focus is streaming, specializing on sports. He binge-streams 32 games over the first two days of NCAA March Madness annually. He built his own DVR 15 years ago, and still tinkers to make his media setup its best.