Vikings have been having their moment over the last couple of years. We’ve had some popular Viking TV shows like Vikings: Valhalla and its predecessor, the aptly named Vikings, and now there is the brand new The Northman movie, which hails from The Witch and The Lighthouse director Robert Eggers and stars Alexander Skarsgård.
The Northman lives up to its R-rated historical action epic billing, per What to Watch’s review. So if that sounds like it is right up your alley, here is everything you need to know on how to watch The Northman.
How to watch The Northman in movie theaters
The Northman is currently playing in movie theaters in the UK and US.
To find where and when The Northman is playing near you, check your local movie theaters’ websites or use a site like Fandango (opens in new tab).
Something for movie fans to look into if they want to find ways to make frequent trips to theaters more affordable is movie theater subscription and membership deals. With many US and UK theater chains providing them, these allow consumers to get discounted or a set monthly number of movie tickets, while also offering additional perks (like free popcorn).
Is The Northman streaming?
The Northman has made its streaming debut, with the Viking-based movie being available to stream exclusively on Peacock as of June 3. Universal announced late last year that all of its 2022 movies — which as a Focus Features movie, The Northman falls under — would make their streaming debuts on NBCUniversal’s Peacock streaming service, which anyone in the US can sign up for and is available for Sky TV and NOW subscribers in the UK.
For non Peacock subscribers, The Northman comes to digital on June 6, with bonus features available with the digital purchase.
If you want to stream some other Robert Eggers movies though, both The Witch and The Lighthouse are available to Showtime subscribers (and those with the Showtime add-on channel on Prime Video and Hulu).
The Northman Blu-ray/DVD
The Northman is also coming to 4K/Blu-ray/DVD on June 7, both a standard version and a special collector's edition. The physical copies offer the following bonus features:
4K/Blu-ray/DVD and digital:
- Deleted and extended scenes
- An Ageless Epic — an in-depth look at how filmmakers, cast and crew immersed themselves in Norse history and mythology in an effort to make The Northman the most accurate Viking epic ever filmed.
- The Faces of Vikings — the cast of The Northman, alongside director Robert Eggers, discuss the depth of the characters and their experiences working together.
- Feature commentary with co-writer/director Robert Eggers
Collector's edition 4K/Blu-ray and digital:
- Amleth's Journey to Manhood — Aurvandil's initiation of Amleth into manhood is one of the most pivotal points on his journey. Take a deeper look at how filmmakers and cast crafted this mysterious ritual.
- Shooting the Raid — go behind-the-scenes of the raid and learn how different departments worked together to pull off this intricate sequence.
- Knattleikr Game — learn all about this little-known game, how the scene was filmed and why it's an essential moment for Amleth.
- A Norse Landscape — we explore the spectacular shooting locations of The Northman and discuss how filmmakers were able to overcome the unique challenges of shooting the film in Northern Ireland.
What else you need to know about The Northman
Robert Eggers and Alexander Skarsgård are the headliners for The Northman, but they are joined by a big name cast that includes Anya Taylor-Joy, Nicole Kidman, Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe and Claes Bang. The story follows a young Viking prince who sets out on a quest for revenge against his uncle after killing his father and stealing his kingdom.
Check out the trailer right here:
Michael Balderston is a DC-based entertainment and assistant managing editor for What to Watch, who has previously written about the TV and movies with TV Technology, Awards Circuit and regional publications. Spending most of his time watching new movies at the theater or classics on TCM, some of Michael's favorite movies include Casablanca, Moulin Rouge!, Silence of the Lambs, Children of Men, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest and Star Wars. On the TV side he enjoys Peaky Blinders, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Saturday Night Live, Only Murders in the Building and is always up for a Seinfeld rerun.
Get the latest updates, reviews and unmissable series to watch and more!
Thank you for signing up to Whattowatch. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.